Your choice of popup plugin will impact the opportunity to build an email list. Therefore, using the right type of plugin is extremely important especially when it comes to grow your audience (without counting heavily on Google). Today, we will discuss some of the best popup plugins for WordPress.
Here's a quick list of the popup plugins that we are going to review today, along with the table of content.
What is a WordPress popup plugin?
A WordPress popup plugin helps you convert website visitors into email subscribers and paying customers. At this point,there are dozens of WordPress popup plugins that can help you improve conversion rates. However, there are also a handful who will either slow down your website, offer inaccurate statistics, or worst both.
We hope that this article will share some lights on the best WordPress plugins for WordPress (ones that you should be using).
We use OptinMonster on this blog and we can't deny that we love this plugin. OptinMonster is a powerful lead generation plugin for WordPress and WooCommerce. This powerful lead generation software helps website owners like us to converts abandoning visitors into subscribers with dynamic marketing tools and Exit Intent® technology.
The advantages of using OptinMonster:
- Works for WordPress and all major CMS
- 2-step optins
- Geo-location targeting
- Exit Intent® technology
- Drag and drop builder
- Yes/No forms
- Mobile friendly popups
- 9 different campaign types (full screen welcome mat, lightbox, spinning wheel etc.)
- Inactivity sensor
- Scroll trigger
- Real time behavior automation
- A/B testing
- Detailed reporting features
- Integration with most 3rd party tools and services
- Features are also geared towards eCommerce sites
The disadvantages of using OptinMonster:
- No free plan available
- Plans are based on number of pageviews
- No lifetime plan is available (OptinMonster starts as low as $9 per month)
Should I use OptinMonster?
OptinMonster is best for WordPress owners who are serious in turning website visitors into paying customers or email subscribers.
Thrive Leads is a great alternative to OptinMonster. Prior to using OptinMonster, we were using Thrive Leads (we moved because we needed some functionality in OptinMonster that Thrive Leads aren't available).
Thrive Leads are built on the concept that conversion-focused (and beautiful) designs will improve your overall conversion rate. And that works!
Website owners around the world are using Thrive Leads and there are just so many positive reviews from them.
Here are the advantages of using Thrive Leads:
- Easily design and deploy popups in just a few clicks
- No coding skills required
- Drag and drop form builder
- Advanced targeting
- A/B testing for all plans
- Actionable and detailed reports
- SmartLinks served specific content aimed for subscribers and non-subscribers
- SmartExit ensures the popups are displayed when the visitor is leaving the page
- Affordability (1-time payment of $67 for lifetime updates)
Here are the disadvantages of using Thrive Leads:
- Build landing pages within WordPress backend (might increase the size of your database)
- Lacks features geared towards WooCommerce
- Only works for WordPress
Should I use Thrive Leads?
It is not all the time where you are able to find a good WordPress popup plugin that does all the heavy lifting for you and charges you for a one-time payment. Thrive Leads is a no-brainer especially for those who want to build an email list without spending a whole lot of money a.k.a. best for those who are just starting a WordPress blog.
Third in the list of best popup plugin for WordPress is definitely Sumo. Previously known as SumoMe, this is a free plugin that does an awesome job in list building. We had seen many organizations use Sumo and it is by far, an easy rating of the best free email capture tool for WordPress.
Just like OptinMonster, Sumo is geared towards eCommerce with its tools are very focused on converting visitors into buyers. For WordPress site owners like you, this is an awesome opportunity to make the best out of it.
Here are the advantages of using Sumo:
- Sumo is absolutely free to use
- Unlimited subscribers
- Send up to 10,000 emails per month (on the free plan) and unlimited for paid plans
- Paid plans start at $39 per month for unlimited everything
- 1-click connect with eCommerce store
- Work well with WordPress themes and plugins
The disadvantages of using Sumo popup plugin:
- Doesn't play well with Cloudflare
- Limited customization and options
Should I use Sumo popup plugin for WordPress?
Sumo is best if you are looking to build an email list from scratch on your WordPress blog, without many requirements. On the basic level, Sumo does great with the free pricing tier. We also kinda like the unlimited everything with one single pricing.
Another great popup plugin for WordPress is Bloom by Divi Themes. If you are looking for a simplified popup builder, you can't go wrong with Bloom.
Here are the advantages of using Bloom:
- 6 different popup displays including fly-in and in-line forms
- Triggers setting for an automated popup
- Over 19+ email marketing integration
- 100+ ready-made templates to download and use
- Drag and drop builder to customize the form
- Target setting (define the page, posts, and other options to trigger the popup)
- Split testing
- Lifetime license is available
The disadvantages of using Bloom:
- Bloom is a very basic popup builder for WordPress
- Some designs look old-school
Should I use Bloom?
Bloom is not a bad WordPress pop up builder. Its simplicity and basic features are great (and sufficient) for beginners and small websites.
Last but not least, Elementor Pro is the 5 in the best popup plugins for WordPress list. Elementor Pro is a world-renown WordPress drag and drop builder. But do you know that it also comes with an inbuilt popup builder?
Take a look at this video to learn more.
What are the advantages of using the Elementor popup builder?
- Exit intent feature
- Welcome mat
- Related products and upsell
- Integrate-able with promotion and sales banners
- Content lock and upgrades
- Login forms
- No additional costs (included in Elementor Pro)
- Over 100+ popup templates to choose from
What are the disadvantages of using Elementor Pro?
- Elementor Pro is a full-suite tool (and you may not require some of the features)
- No lifetime license available (it costs $49 for a single site, per year)
Is Elementor Pro right for me?
If you are looking for a visual builder, Elementor Pro is definitely a great option. The popup feature in Elementor is just one of the premium features which you can leverage and use. Overall, we rate Elementor Pro highly (check out our Elementor Page Builder review) and we recommend you to give it a try.
Summary: Which is the best popup plugin for WordPress?
Before we end, we are sure that you are looking for a direct answer ... and here goes.
OptinMonster. Best popup plugin for money sites and medium/large eCommerce sites.
Thrive Leads. Best popup plugin for bloggers and Internet marketers.
Sumo. Best and free popup plugin for beginners.
Bloom. Best popup plugin that doesn't cost a bomb (for beginners).
Elementor Pro. Best popup plugin inbuilt within a visual builder.
Which is your favorite popup builder for WordPress? Leave a comment below and let's discuss!